2011年11月5日土曜日

What bothers your brain

I'm reading a book about psychology and brain of human ability and I found an interesting theory in it. I'd like to let you know a piece of episode of them for someone who needs to overcome difficulty by yourself. I refer to the lines from the book here.

I remember playing one of my own musical compositions on the piano at a school concert.  I had practiced very hard for days, and on the day of the concert, as I took my seat after the introductory applause, I saw my music teacher in the front row. I started to play and things were going very well. The music flowed smoothly and my fingers raced across the keyboard without any strain, taking advantage of the automatically that practice confers. Suddenly, for a reason unbeknownst to me, I started to have this perverse thought that I did not what I was doing.  I started to wonder where my fingers should go next, and I realized that I might not remember.  I started to panic. For a few bars, it was touch and go. I thought I have to give up and walk out, but just in time, I looked up at my piano teacher, aghast with terror that I was not going to remember what to play. She smiled at me and closed her eyes, gently chopping the air above her lap with her palm downward, signaling that I should just lose myself in the music. So I did, and all of a sudden, my fingers found themselves and I could play again.
  Much later in my life I came to understand what happened that day: I had practice the piece so much that it had become automatic. And I could play it well, as long as I let it be automatic. Starting to think disrupted the automatic brain processes and started to engage the slower thinking processes. This had worked when I was practicing, but wouldn't when I was playing. This was one of the startling realizations that I had ever had-that fear can disrupt the automatic processes of daily living and throw us into a paralysis of thinking that can stop the music of our lives. Moreover, fear can result from making what has become automatic deliberate once again.
( Quoted from Life Unlocked by Srinivasan S. Pillay, MD)

2 件のコメント:

  1. The same thing sometimes happens to me in my speech at English lesson. I should practice my speech with thinking of the sense of them, and it's the same when I do speech.

    返信削除
  2. It's funny to know if the brain controls you it will make you freeze sometimes. It tells that brains are too coward and timid to stop us going....means to know how to control your brain well.

    返信削除

Please send a comment