2016年2月20日土曜日

Weekend topic

" Are you Okay? "
" Yes, I'm Okay."
If you say in Japanese
" Daijobu desuka?"
" Daijobu desu."
" Daijobu " is used for " Okay " it seems but these days I had some weird experiences when I heard it among young people.
When I was in the family restaurant or at the convenience store....the waiter or clerk of part time talked to customer as politely as possible but strange.
"Daijobu" originally means very strong tough guy and becomes to
mean secure and insuring for something. It's the word to make people assure and peace.
If I apologized to have broken glasses at the restaurant and the clerk replied " Daijobu desuka? "
It's a wonderful word.
But if I asked " Can I have a cup of coffee before the meal?"
The clerk said "Daijobu desu." I felt something strange. I would say " Sure( Kashikomarimashita)"

This article just referring to the feeling which I had.
Have you felt like that?
Weekend topic



5 件のコメント:

  1. It's a difficult theme. Daijobu desuka? and Kashikomarimashita have a different meaning. It mistakes the meaning. But the diference of this meaning doesn't understand for a foreigner. When we Japanese will be learning a foreign language, we will be doing the same thing.

    返信削除
  2. I'm sorry. My answer was wrong. It means about "daijobu desu", doesn't it.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. They might think Okay or all right is Daijobu.

      削除
  3. I also think that the word of "Daijobu desu" is meaning of "I'm Okay".
    I also feel a sense of incongruity in the way to use "No, thank you" such as stated in this article.
    However, there are similar words in Toyama dialect.
    It is the word of "Icha(いっちゃ)".
    These words have a meaning of two to disagree such as "I do not need it" or "it is good".

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Oh , well. We also have contradict expressions. " iCha " means " No, thank you" but sometimes " That's Okay". It can be understood in the context not from the word. The expressions are confusing though.

      削除

Please send a comment