2014年3月5日水曜日

A handsome Japanese woman

I happened to find out the article about Masako Shirasu, who is well known as a wife of Jiro Shirasu.
Jiro Shirasu was called "a country gentle man" very different from those who worked for the government but a great secretary for the prime minister, Shigeru Yoshida.
But his wife Masako seemed also not a typical Japanese good wife.
They were both progressive and knew the value of the life.
I'd like to quote some important points from the article.
----------------------------------------
Masako was born on Jan. 7, 1910, in a mansion at Nagatacho, Tokyo. Both of her grandfathers were admirals in the Imperial Japanese Navy. Just 2½ years before the death of Emperor Meiji, Japan was on the cusp of monumental change both domestically and internationally.

She was a superb dresser drawn to the craft of fabric making, in her later years favoring clothes designed by Missoni. She traveled extensively around Iran, France, Spain and Hungary.

She was a lover of Japanese cuisine who said, “Eat what you feel like eating all the time. Those food connoisseurs and gourmets who glow with self-satisfaction give me the creeps.”

“Being faithful to yourself and becoming engrossed in your work, that’s culture.”

“Looking back, it seems that I’ve spent my whole life dawdling by the wayside, from one road to another. . . . I may have lost something on the way, but I think I have gained more.”

Masako Shirasu fromJapan Times









4 件のコメント:

  1. I knew Masako Shirase from NHK drama "Jiro Shirase" a few years ago.
    I remembered that she was handsome and cool woman.
    She was learned in antiques and commented about it.
    I was impressed that there was a woman who has a mind of hers own like Masako in the times.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. If she were alive and live in her 20s in these days she would absolutely make good works.

      削除
  2. I know Jiro Shirasu on NHK TV program previously, but did not know almost about Masako of his wife.
    But, I am empathized with her below ​​words of your blog.
    “Looking back, it seems that I’ve spent my whole life drawing by the wayside, from one road to another. . . . I may have lost something on the way, but I think I have gained more.”

    By the way, my post was published in the column of " Nakamato-tudou” of the newspaper of northern Japan today.
    It is a report article of the Honolulu Marathon of last year.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. That's great of your entry for the local paper!
      You are very proud of your activities with your company.

      削除

Please send a comment